What is Palliative Care?
It's About Quality of Life
If you or a loved one is living with a serious illness, you should consider adding palliative care to your treatment. Coping with serious illness becomes harder over time and quality of life often suffers. Palliative care focuses on improving quality of life, while offering support to family and other loved ones. Palliative medicine consultations from physicians or nurse practitioners are available in multiple settings such as hospitals, skilled nursing and assisted living facilities, and outpatient clinics. Call us at 704.375.0100 for more information or to schedule a consultation.
When is Palliative Medicine Appropriate?
You may want to consider palliative medicine when:
- your quality of life has been suffering due to your illnesses.
- your condition has worsened despite the best care by your doctors.
- you need more help from family and friends because of your worsening condition.
- you have had multiple and frequent trips to the physician's office or hospital to address your serious illness and symptoms.
- the information provided by your doctors is sometimes confusing.
- you need help understanding what to expect in the future and what choices are available to you.
Benefits of Palliative Medicine
There are many benefits to palliative medicine, including:
- Support is individualized and focused on improving quality of life.
- Patients and families appreciate the opportunity to talk about their illness and what is most important to them.
- Symptoms that are difficult to manage are addressed and patients often feel better.
- Hospitalizations and unexpected visits to the doctor may decrease.
- Patients and families understand the progression of the illness and can make informed decisions about treatment options based on their own goals.
- Advance care planning assistance (i.e. Living Wills and Heath Care Powers of Attorney) is provided when needed.
Palliative medicine at Hospice & Palliative Care Charlotte Region is provided by Palliative Medicine Consultants.
If you are interested in more information about palliative care, please fill out the contact form on our homepage. A palliative medicine consultant will call you once we recieve your information.